The Ten "C's" of Survival: "
1. CUT - In most any survival situation, you will need some form of decent blade to cut firewood, cordage or numerous other items…this could be a good knife, machete etc. It should offer a certain measure of protection as well.
2. COVER - You will need protection from wind, rain or cold weather. The elements of nature can work against you if you aren’t prepared for them. This could be anything from a tent or tarp to a good poncho or as simple as a bandana.
3. COMBUSTION - A way to build a fire to purify drinking water, cook your food or to merely stay warm will be required. Anything from a good firesteel to even a simple Bic lighter will can be used to make a decent fire.
4. CONTAINER - Some form of container will be necessary to carry water, cook in or any number of various other uses.
5. CORDAGE - From lanyards to lashing down a load or a tent or tarp, a truly versatile item. Paracord or a good rope will always come in handy.
6. CASH - If and when you do reach a civilized area, you will most likely need coin of the realm.
7. COMMUNICATION - You will need some form of communication. This could be as simple as a whistle or signal mirror or as advanced as a cell phone.
8. CONSUMABLES - This is your basic food and water supply and should be enough to sustain you until other sources can be found or located.
9. CONFIDENCE - Have faith in your skills and mental ability to survive
10. CARRY - And last but not least, you will need a decent way to carry all of the above items that gives you freedom of movement while allowing you to have the necessary items for survival with you.
Staying above the water line!